Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Oooolalallieberry Pie: AKA Crumble Topped Olallieberry Pie

Pin It Now!


Before anyone gets excited, I made this a while ago, so no need to come break into the house for it please, there is none here.  Now that that has been prefaced--no berry is probably better than an olallieberry.  Unfortunately, they are only in season for about a month, and not necessarily very available anywhere other than near Santa Maria.  I did happen to come across a berry stand that had them, and HAD to buy some.  I sort of when buck wild and spent a fortune and bought a bunch.  I promptly went home and tried to figure out how to make them into a delicious pie (can't go wrong putting them in a pie).

Now my aunt lives in Santa Maria and she can go pick the olallieberries right off the bushes on the farms when they are in season.  She makes jams, cobblers, pies and all sorts of sinful things with them that I could only dream of being half as good at making.  I will never live up to her berry baking abilities, but seeing as I can't just walk over to her house to steal a pie or a jar of jam, I was left to my own devices (it is like a 5 hour drive to her house, it would be a very long walk).

Here is what I came up with.  I am a fan of crumble pie topping, the brown sugar and butter laden happy crumbles, so I married that (from Ina Garten's Peach and Blueberry Crumble recipe) with a traditional pie crust (the origins of which are from my aunt, I believe it is the Sunset Perfect Pie Crust recipe) and the filling from my aunts boysenberry cobbler recipe.  I probably tweaked them all a little, but I am giving credit for the original recipes from whence they originated.

Beware--this is not for the health conscious, those opposed to butter, or those against sugar.  You have been warned.  And before anyone asks, no, I will not provide nutrition information for this recipe.  If you are going to make it, please just enjoy the splurge.

Oh yea, it also isn't too bad reheated and a big scoop of vanilla ice cream added on top.  Yep...not too bad at all.

Olalliberry Pie


Servings: 8
Yield: 1 pie

Cooking Times
Cooking Time: 45 minutes

Oven Temperature: 400°F

INGREDIENTS

FILLING:

1 cup sugar
3  Tbsp cornstarch (or King Arthur Flour Instant ClearJel)
6 cups olalliberries (or any other berry)
1 tsp grated lemon peel
1/2 Tbsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg

TOPPING:

1 cup flour
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1 stick cold unsalted butter, diced

PIE CRUST:

1  "Sunset Perfect Pie Crust Recipe"


DIRECTIONS

FILLING:

1. In a large bowl, combine the 1 cup sugar, cornstarch, lemon peel and lemon juice, along with the cinnamon and nutmeg.  Add in berries.
2. Mix gently to coat. Set aside.

TOPPING:

1. For the topping, combine the flour, granulated sugar, brown sugar, salt and cinnamon in a bowl and mix slightly.
2. Dice up the butter into small pieces and add to the dry ingredients.
3. Mix with a fork or break up butter with your fingers until the mixture resembles large crumbles.

ASSEMBLY:

1. Roll out one recipe of the "Sunset Perfect Pie crust" until it is large enough to cover the bottom and sides of the 9" pie pan.
2. Crimp edges as desired.
3. Pour in the prepared filling onto the pie crust.
4. Top with the crumb topping mixture, making sure not to press it down.
5. Bake in the oven at 400 degrees for 45 minutes, or until the top and crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbly.
6. Let cool before serving (Important!!!  Hard to do, but important!)




2 comments:

  1. That sounds so delicious, Lindsay! I have had the olalliberry pie at Polly's--it is one of Sheri's favorites! Nothing can compare to homemade though. I am in awe that you actually like to bake/cook. When you love it, then you don't mind all of the work that goes into making it--I'd guess? :) :)
    i like your blog--fun to read. I was wondering how you have the time to bake with two little active guys at your house??
    Take good care, and happy baking to you!
    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOOOVE to bake and cook. I wish I could do it more. The only part I don't like is the dishes at the end :) I bake at night, I bake when they are up, I bake while grandma is watching them, I bake when they nap (that one is rare). I find time! The two of them make it more difficult. Some of these recipes and post were not necessarily done on the day I posted them, some things I made a while ago.

      Thanks for the comments and I am glad you enjoy reading it!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...