Sunday, June 24, 2012

Homemade Mozzarella Cheese: Part I

Pin It Now!

My husband and I have great aspirations of building a pizza oven, and turning out the best pizzas southern California has ever been privy to see.  We have the dough recipe down.  The heirloom San Marzano tomato seeds have been bought (now we just need to plant them), and basil is easy to grow.  The thing keeping us from the mecca of pizza perfection is homemade cheese.  We weren't even sure if it was truly possible for us.

Well, I decided to try and make that happen a few days ago.  Making homemade mozzarella cheese involves a bunch of milk, some special cheese making ingredients, and patience.  I bought the necessary ingredients from a cheese making company and the stuff arrived this yesterday morning. The picture above is the result of a third successful attempt after two catastrophic failures.  I was jumping for joy when it finally worked...a beautiful, stretchable lump of cheese curds transformed to mozzarella before my eyes.  I know it doesn't look like much, but it was amazing. 

Now that I have half of it left, we are making pizza this morning with it... I can't wait!!  My husbands pizza is incredible without all the homegrown ingredients, so I can't even imagine how great this will be with them.  He doesn't have a wood fired pizza oven yet (but someday we will!!), so he cooks them on the BBQ.  They come out bubbly, crispy, light, airy, and just incredible.  I can't fathom the work he could do with a real pizza oven.

Part II will be all about the homemade pizza we make with it.  Let the drool-fest begin...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...